Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Awakened Sinner

O my forgetful soul, 

Awake from they wandering dream;
turn from chasing vanities,
look inward, forward, upward
view thyself,
reflect upon thyself,
Who and what thou art, why here,
what thou must soon be. 
Thou art a creature of God, 
formed and furnished by him, 
lodged in a body like a shepherd in his tent;
Dost thou not desire to know God's ways?

O God, 

Thou injured, neglected, provoked Benefactor
when I think upon thy greatness and they goodness
I am ashamed at my insensibility, 
I blush to lift up my face, 
for I have foolishly erred. 
Shall i go on neglecting thee, 
when everyone of thy rational creatures 
should love thee, 
and take every care to please thee?
I confess that thou hast not been in all my thoughts, 
that the knowledge of thyself as the end of
my being has been strangely overlooked, 
that I have never seriously considered
my hear-need. 
But although my mind is perplexed and divided, 
my nature perverse, 
yet my secret dispositions still desire thee. 
Let me not delay to come to thee;
Break the fatal enchantment that binds
my evil affections,
and bring me to a happy mind that rests in thee, 
for thou hast made me and canst not forget me. 
Let thy Spirit teach me the vital lessons of Christ, 
for I am slow to learn;
And hear thou my broken cries. 

--Puritan Prayer for "The Valley of Vision"

No comments:

Post a Comment