Sunday, May 22, 2011

Nowhere to hide

In the perpetual story that is "adventures in subbing," I bring you this chapter:

There was a bag of spearmints on my desk and during class two students asked if they could have some. I had to tell them no because if they got one the entire class would have wanted one, and I didn't have enough to be generous. Plus, they were not mine. Now, as the class was leaving, I heard a distinct noise that told me one thing: people were getting into the mints! I walked over to the desk, and sure enough the two students were trying to steal some. I was very disappointed in them, and they knew it. So I walked down the hall to inform their teacher that a disciplinary action was going to be taken for trying to steal. As I walked out of the room the two students were standing huddled together not wanting to face their teacher, or me. They were trying to hide from the mistake they made, and were scared of a punishment. 
In Psalm 139 (ESV), David writes: 

"Where shall I go from your Spririt? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me, and your right had shall hold me." 
v. 7 - 10

When we sin a natural tendency comes out that we should just try and hide, or tread very cautiously until we feel it is safe. Why? Probably because we are like the two students. We feel that when we have sinned we have in some way blind sided the Lord. Again, how foolish we are! David wrote it best with: 

"If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!"
v. 8

"You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar."
v. 2

"Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether."
v. 4

Our Lord is omnipotent and omnipresent. We cannot hide. If we would try, He already knows where we would go! When we have sinned, we need to  accept our weakness, and pray for forgiveness and deliverance. We also need to accept our desperate need for the savior, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment