Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Steadfast Progression

Two verses today:


"For God is working in you the desire and the power to do what pleases him."
-- Philipians 2:13

"Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and possess the land."
--  Exodus 23:30

*Note: For some excellent commentary on the Exodus verse, visit the blog my friend Dan and his wife Jess  have. It's pretty sweet. 

Now I am just going to be completely open here. I used struggle a lot with lust. I still have my battles with it, but nothing compared to where I once was. I used to be addicted to it in a sense where my mind just felt permanently trapped with thoughts, images, etc. Glory be to our God for what he has done in my life to continue to win me over from this horrid stronghold Satan thinks he has on me. I often hear stories of how people have seemingly overcome an addiction or an idol in one night's sleep and I desperately wanted that. Then I came across the pair of verses and realized the lesson the Lord is teaching me. 

To me, both verses have a theme of progression. They speak about how the Lord, over time, does all things for His glory. 

In his post, Dan writes: "God doesn't drive all of our sin out the moment we become bound for the promised land and saved into the kingdom of God."

I have noticed in the past few battles that they are stronger and more persistent, but I have also recognized how the Lord is filling me with more and more strength. If the intensity of these battles were present maybe a few months ago, I would not have been able to stand as strongly in the Lord as I am today. "Little by little" with each battle, the Lord has sharpened me a little more. Maybe my resistance has lasted longer, I am quicker to avoid certain situations etc. God is working in me, this power to resist. 

A year or so ago if I would have woken up completely rid of all this sin, I probably would not have acknowledged that it was the Lord's doing. I would have gone on living without lifting a single praise. Now, the Lord is increasing my reliance on Him. Dan said it best with, "he takes time in sanctifying us to the point where we realize that we must be absolutely dependent on Him for everything." I am only stronger because of my Lord. Without him, I would be swallowed up by all this evil. 

One final point that is only the start of a further discussion, but these battles remind me of my desperate need for Jesus. The Lord knew I was going to need an atonement for my sins, he knows the future battles that I am going to need a savior for. What a wonderful God we have who already gave us this savior! It's Jesus! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joel! I really love this. Thanks for your openness and your wisdom about the way He works for maximum glory. He loves us!!

    ReplyDelete