Saturday, March 5, 2011

Plugged In

So I came across this website just the other day (the link is at the bottom). I know it is probably a pretty popular website because a few people that I talked to said that they knew of it. If you have listened to Klove before, you'll know their little segments they call "focus on the family." From that, stems "Plugged In," which has the slogan "shining a light on the world of popular music." It offers a christian perspective to what we are surrounded by every single day whether we are listening to the radio, watching TV, or heading to the theaters. 


It's something that I always struggle with, because I see movies and TV shows that look interesting and I being to wonder whether I should watch it or not. A few friend's and I were recently discussing Johnny Depp's new movie "Rango" and how it does have some adult themes and humor in it. The website does not give it a good recommendation, especially if one is to look at the film from the "kid friendly" perspective. 


I will say, amongst the critics elaborate writing style, I enjoy how they break up movie reviews into a few categories including, positive elements, sexual content, language, and spiritual content. I was reading a review for the newest Disney movie "Tangled," and they go as far as to include instances of calling someone a "dummy" and a scene where a man is wearing only a diaper portraying Cupid. As far as spiritual content goes, they do not just focus just on Godly content, but any use of magic, or dealings with spirits etc. I really enjoy how after the main review, the first thing you read is about the positive elements in the movie. That's just my own personal preference, because I enjoy focusing on the positive first. 


Now, there is not necessarily always a focus on God with the reviews. However, there is a review of Lady Gaga's newest song, and the critic explains how Gaga stretches a part of scripture to present a "feel good message." He rebukes that song and proves just how people are distorting God's truth. 


I think you should take a look at the website. I have only begun my wanderings on the website, but I mostly enjoy what I have been reading. I am not always sure how to take some of the conclusions, and still left thinking, so... should I? 

http://www.pluggedin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment